Pointe Aux Barques Lighthouse Society
The original Pointe aux Barques Lighthouse was constructed of rocks and stones from the shoreline of Lake Huron in 1848. The home and separate tower were located on a three acre clearing hacked out of the dense wilderness.
By 1857 the ravages of shoreline weather and a disastrous fire in the interior of the house created the need for a new structure. The new Keeper's house and attached 89 foot tower were built of the finest brick available. The light is still an active aid to navigation making Pointe aux Barques the oldest continuously operating Light on the Great Lakes.
In 1875 a Class A lifesaving station was constructed 300 yards south of the lighthouse - the 1st station opened on the Great Lakes. The 62 year history of the station credits over 200 rescues to this station and is brave crews. The Thumb Bottomland Preserve surrounding Pointe aux Barques contains 105 known wrecks, making it one of the most dangerous areas of the Lakes to travel.
The Pointe aux Barques Keeper's house and tower have been completely restored and contain history and artifacts from a bygone era. The Museum is open to the public free of charge with donations kindly appreciated to help fund the Society's projects.